VeriSign, Inc. (VRSN),today reported financial results for the second quarter of 2016.
VeriSign, Inc. and subsidiaries (“Verisign”) reported revenue of $286 million for the second quarter of 2016, up 9.1% from the same quarter in 2015. Verisign reported net income of $113 million and diluted earnings per share (diluted “EPS”) of $0.87 for the second quarter of 2016, compared to net income of $93 million and diluted EPS of $0.70 for the same quarter in 2015.
The operating margin was 61.5 percent for the second quarter of 2016 compared to 56.7 percent for the same quarter in 2015.
- Verisign Registry Services added 0.78 million net new names during the second quarter, ending with 143.2 million .com and .net domain names in the domain name base, which represents a 7.3% increase over the base at the end of the second quarter in 2015.
- In the second quarter, Verisign processed 8.6 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net, as compared to 8.7 million for the same quarter in 2015.
- The final .com and .net renewal rate for the first quarter of 2016 was 74.4 percent compared with 73.4 percent for the same quarter in 2015. Renewal rates are not fully measurable until 45 days after the end of the quarter.
- Verisign announces an increase in the annual fee for a .net domain name registration from $7.46 to $8.20, effective Feb. 1, 2017, per its agreement with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
- Verisign ended the second quarter with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $1.9 billion, a decrease of $8 million from year-end 2015