UPDATED: Sony Announces The Development Of Move.Me But They Don’t Own The Domain, I Do

In what is turning into be one of the strangest domains stories it appears that Sony Launched a new product yesterday called Move.me

Here is the post from Sony blog:

You can check out the nice new logo right here:

“It lets folks develop Move applications for noncommercial use: academia and research and the like. It’ll be available in some time this spring.”

“Sony says the development of Move.Me represents a chance for “PlayStation to inspire new, revolutionary applications in other fields beyond gaming.”

“To use Move.Me you’ll need a PS3, Move + Camera, and PC. The Move.Me software sits on the PS3, then sends the Move data over to the PC.”

Sounds great but Sony doesn’t own Move.me

I do.

Know I didn’t sell it nor have I even been approached about the domain.

Moveme.com is owned and operated as a moving site.

So did Sony really not understanding that there is a domain extension of .Me just name its product Move.Me?

I’m at a loss here, and overloaded on Bahamian nightlife so does any one have any thoughts on this one?

Comments

1. LS Morgan says

That’s pretty funny, but it’s a very niche application appealing to a very small audience (app developers). You’ll probably get a bump in traffic, tho.

Interesting to see how hardware manufacturers are chasing after the app rainbow.

2. Amr says

MHB, don’t sell less than 6 figures if they try to buy it from you. I think its just matter of time for them to find out about .ME

I turned down 40k for one of my .ME names.

3. It's in the dot says

SONY
    make.believe

They don’t own make.believe either, and I don’t think they ever will :-)

My point is they’ve seemed to make wide use of the “something.something” pattern in their branding strategy lately. So for them, move.me is just something that follows that pattern, they haven’t thought about it in terms of domains…

… well, not yet.

Mike, you are reaching here.

From the Sony Release:

“Move.Me is a server application that runs on the PS3 system. It allows anyone with a PS3 to experiment with motion controls and is officially sanctioned and supported by Sony Computer Entertainment. Move.Me sends the complete state of the PlayStation Move and navigation controllers to the PC, giving you the exact same data that licensed developers typically have access to.”

It’s a server app. They are not promoting a website nor do they plan to. Not everything has to revolve around domains.

When they do approach you you should refuse to sign a NDA about the price or the whole sales process goes. This is a good opportunity to shed real light on how this sort of thing goes down to the rest of the domain industry. Domains under this scenario usually just mysteriously change hands and nobody knows exactly how it went down!

6. LS Morgan says

——

They’re not going to approach him. They don’t care about the domain name. He will probably get some insignificant bump in traffic for a minute, but it isn’t like App developers are a market that’s easily confused when it comes to this stuff.

7. Taylor says

I’m with Tony: it’s a server app, not a domain, so I doubt they’ll ever approach you to buy the domain, since that’s not what they’re promoting. Like others have said, you’ll probably see a bump in traffic, but that’s likely from other people who, for whatever reason, seem to think that Sony’s “move.me” server app is indeed a website.

8. Gazzip says

They are in a way.

Sony is in the process of filing for a TM for Move.me and some moron will probably grant it to them.

Filing Date February 28, 2011

9. Chris says

No doubt, some marketing team in Sony with no idea about domains came up with it. I’m sure they just think they have to call the IT guy to register it for them, but they’ll do that once they’ve got the press release done.

Best thing that can happen is for Sony to buy the domain of you. The worst thing that can happen is that they would set up their own TLD and create something like move.me.sony.

11. domainian says

@ Ben Wilkes who said “Have you guys ever thought Sony might actually be infringing MHB’s move.me? Cos they are!” and Gazzip who said “they are in a way”

Hope you are better at domaining than you are at diagnosing intellectual property issues because there is absolutely no way sony is infringing on this “hypothectical” trademark you claim that berkins has.

According to the site move.me is in the development stages. Sorry boys but in the lack of a registered mark, ideas under development are unworthy of trademark protection and if berkings uses the domain name in its most generic sense “moving” it would likewise be untrademarkable.

It is interesting to see how quick domainers are at leveling the infringement accusation at corporations but are blind to it when they own and monetize domain names themselves which are confusingly similar to big brands.

At any rate here as far as sony goes, no harm no foul and berkins is left with an alt domain name that fewin the world outside of domainers either understand or see any value in. Heck even most domainers see no value in the me extension. Just another lotterty ticket that will most likely never be cashed

12. tom says

About infringement,

I agree, look at Nissan.com vs. NissanUSA.com. That one is still in litigation. The guy who owns Nissan.Com had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in court costs to fight NissanUSA. All Sony has to do is throw their big layers in and say they have established trademarks in place for takeover of the domain. Not saying they will succeed but if you want to keep it, it will cost you millions.

Better lodge a complaint now and fight the trademark, at least get record you protested it because you own the domain.