Verisign (VRSN) released their 2015 Q3 Industry Brief
- The total number of registered domain names rose to 299 million worldwide across all top-level domains
- 3.1 million domain names were added to the Internet in Q3 2015:
- This increase globally equates to a growth rate of 1.1% over Q2 2015
- Worldwide registrations have grown by 14.8 million, or 5.2 percent, year over year.
- The .com and .net TLDs reached a combined total of approximately 135.2 million domain names in the domain name base in Q3’15
- The base of registered names in .com equaled 120.1 million names, while .net equaled 15.1 million names
- Verisign processed 9.2 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net, as compared to 8.7 million domain names for the same period in 2014.
- Verisign’s average Domain Name System query load was 120 billion across all TLDs operated by Verisign, with a peak of 593 billion
You can download the DNIB Infographic here