Sedo 2012: Domain Market Study: 36K Transactions; Ave Sale $1,885
Sedo, the world’s largest domain marketplace and monetization provider, today announced the results of its Annual Domain Market Study with Q4 2012 review, revealing domain industry trends and changes based on transactions in its marketplace.
In 2012, Sedo powered 36,181 transactions in its domain marketplace with a mean average price of $1,885 across all sales, and a median price of $600.
In the 4th Quarter of 2012 Sedo’s transactions totaled just over 16 Million in domain names.
Total sales for 2012 for Sedo was $68 Million
Additional highlights of Sedo’s Q4 2012 Domain Market Study:
- .com accounted for 48 percent of all sales in 2012 – a 4 percent increase from a year prior – easily maintaining its position as the most popular TLD.
- Buy Now accounted for 41 percent of all sales in 2012, representing an 11 percent gain over the previous year. As more and more sellers realize that end users want to be able to purchase domains quickly and simply, the number of Buy Now domain listings and sales has steadily increased.
- More than half of all buyers throughout 2012 originated in Sedo’s two largest markets, the US (28 percent) and Germany (24 percent).
- The first quarter of 2012 was the year’s strongest, accounting for 10,133 sales and $19M in sales value.
- 46% of all sales for the year were valued at $500 or less, while domains that sold between $500 and $2,500 accounted for 40 percent of all sales.
- The mean average and median sales price of .com domains decreased during 2012 to $2,148 and $642 respectively. The traditional alternatives to .com- .net and .org – both saw increases in mean prices to $1,880 and $1,315.
- .eu was a surprise hit among ccTLD last year, experiencing a 127 percent growth in median price from $375 in 2011 to $850 in 2012.
- While the .me extension made its way into the top ten most frequently traded TLDs, .co dropped out of the list. In total, nearly160 different TLDs were traded at Sedo during 2012
Sedo’s complete Q4 2012 Domain Market Study is available at here