IDNWorldReport.eu published their 2023 report. They noted, awareness of internationalized domain names needs improvement if they are to continue to be a viable option, particularly for new and emerging economies. IDN registrations grew negatively at a median rate of 0.1% over 2022 which contrasts to 3.4% among the top 300 TLDs globally.
- 84% ccTLDs support IDN registration with a further 1 registry in preparation to launch.
- There are an estimated 2.9 million IDN registrations under ccTLDs.
- Over the 12 months to January 2023, the median growth of IDN registrations under national ccTLDs was recorded at -0.1% (sample: 40 ccTLDs) which is a decline from the previous year’s growth of 2.5%.
- With an estimated 1.4 million IDN registrations under gTLDs, over the 12 months to January 2023, the median growth was recorded at 1.91%. (sample: 282 gTLDs)
- Latin is the most common script offered by ccTLDs in the sample set.
- 74 registries support IDN registration at the second level with a further 5 registries in preparation to support.
- 17 registries offer both IDN and xn-- form in Port 43 WHOIS, 14 registries offer both forms in RDAP and 29 registries offer both forms in web-based WHOIS.
- 65 registries do not support the Homoglyph building.
- ccTLD registries rate registrar support 4 out of 5. This is an increase from the previous year’s score of 3.1.
- Registries rate end-user awareness of IDNs at 2.5 out of 5. This is an increase from the previous year’s score of 2.2.
View the full report here