Verisign is out with their latest industry brief, they also published an infographic to go along with the report. The infographic is in pdf format so you can view it here.
Highlights of the report include:
- The total number of registered domain names rose to 296 million worldwide across all top-level domains
- Two million domain names were added to the Internet in Q2 2015:
- This increase globally equates to a growth rate of 0.8% over Q1 2015
- Worldwide registrations have grown by 16.4 million, or 5.9%, year over year
- The .com and .net TLDs reached a combined total of approximately 133.5 million domain names in the domain name base in Q2
- The base of registered names in .com equaled 118.5 million names, while .net equaled 15 million names
- Verisign processed 8.7 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net in Q2 2015, compared to 8.5 million domain names for the same period in 2014.
- Verisign’s average Domain Name System (DNS) query load was 111 billion across all TLDs operated by Verisign, with a peak of 182 billion.