Cnet Does Feature Story On Mike Mann: “Meet the ‘Mann’ who registered 14,962 domains in 24 hours”

Cnet.comjust published a feature story all about the Mann, Mike Mann.

The story entitled “Meet the ‘Mann’ who registered 14,962 domains in 24 hours” recounts how Mike Mann started in the domain business, built and sold BuyDomains and now seems to have done it all over again with  DomainMarket.com.

Some of the more interesting parts from the story for me were:

Mike Mann still owns 15% of NameMedia.  I thought Mike had sold his entire interest in BuyDomains.com to NameMedia.  I might be the only person that didn’t know Mike owed such a large part of the company, but I didn’t.

Mike Mann quote: “I want to own the world.”  priceless

Mike Mann Quote: “We have a filter, but I’m the world’s most efficient human filter for this for of thing,” said Mann, true to form. “I don’t think anyone can read huge lists of domain names as quickly as I can and understand what they’re reading. I’m a pattern reader. It’s a huge pain in the ass, but it’s what I do for a living.”

In the two years since his non-compete with NameMedia expired, Mike has registered 400,000 domains or about 6x the number of domains its taken me 15 years to get.

Paul Sloan write the article for Cnet.com

Paul of course has written the the most widely covered stories in mainstream publications on the domain industry including the feature story on Kevin Ham for Business 2.0. and the story that propelled the whole domain industry featuring Frank Schilling into the spotlight, Masters of Their Domain.

You should check out the full story at Cnet.com.

We here at TheDomains.com have nominated Mike several times for the Domain Hall of Fame award and still believe that he should have been one of the first 5 inductees.  Mike is one of those love him or hate him guys with a strong personality, but his success in the domain industry cannot be denied and its still a story in progress.

Congrats

Comments

1. Brad M. says

that is a lot of names, there are a TON of great unregistered .co’s out there. I would think some of the .co names I have spied would be more marketable than some of the .com’s being reg’d in this lot. What is to the left of the dot is still most important in reselling the domain.

I am not one who believes .co will overtake .com but I do see the extension being formidable in the future. I think of all of the young kids growing up coding before they reach high school, wanting domains that they can afford, developing great sites on .co domain names. As the public adopts these new sites and ventures and acclimates to using the extension, it seems inevitable to me that it will gain prominence.

I also think .co is highly brandable, with Co. representing the word “Company” – there are large volume of plays to that extent.

2. 3d is my life says

Brad M., your prediction is highly unlikely, there will be at least hundreds of extensions from among to choose for these young coders. If having available second level names is .Co’s only. selling point, your forecast for prominence will likely not come to pass.

3. Brad M. says

Prominence is arbitrary but in a few years and even today I think it will be hard to argue that the .co registry is successful; .co is being employed and they do a great job of showcasing this at go.co. I think .co stands a better chance of being recognized universally alongside the current lot of TLD’s as compared to the gTLD’s that are launched in the future. Many will be very niche oriented while .co has a generality to it and more, it is a truncated version of the .com extension.

Putting myself into the shoes of a small business owner or an end user in the market for a URL, I am attracted to .co domains as the primary alternative to .com. Of course, that is my perception and an opinion, but the market will decide for itself and with the vast number of new extensions entering the DNS, there will be winners and there will be losers. .com may be the biggest loser.

.Com is king and will always win, every other decent site and app needs the .com perpetually or their competitors will, and for branding and google too, memory, flight to quality forever, no replacement technologies or ideas will beat it. Mark my words and sales.

.Co is next best bet as my investments show too.

5. 3D is my life says

Yes, .com is king. The argument that young coders will adopt .co to hack together something and then this will lead to .co prominence is flawed. Once a site hits a critical point and hopes to continue to grow, they will obtain the .com. That’s why it would be a very rare scenario where a .co site could grow to establish itself in the mainstream mindshare.

6. Brad M. says

I agree with you Mike, .com will always be king and the most valuable extension to own. When I refer to .com possibly being the biggest loser, I speak to the possibility that the current .com market cap / valuation is potentially at risk and possibly most adversely affected by the flood of new extensions and the increase of viable alternatives. It is a very basic way to look at the market and likely inaccurate. There is a case to be made for an acceleration in overall market demand that will more than offset the effect of the supply increases on the broader market, and due to the fact that there still will be a fixed supply of premium .com’s, the valuation of these domains stands to benefit more from increased demand and the entry of new market participants. I bullish across the board.

“.Com is king….no replacement technologies or ideas will beat it.”

.COM can be useful in the transition that is coming.

.COM can be used as the back-end as other name-spaces are built between it and the users.

.COM can then be removed, like DOS was eventually removed from Windows.

Things can move quickly or continue to be derailed as the ICANN Insiders continue to enjoy their money machines.

People gravitate to .COM because it still has some ties to Uncle Sam who threatens ICANN as they wander into the weeds.

8. Michael H. Berkens says

Mike

I don’t think there is a clear 2nd choice, I think it depends on the domain, how intuitive it is how brandable it is.

Certainly .co is in the running but I like .tv and .me a lot as well

Most of the other TLD investors will eat it unless they focus on the very very top one keywords or build the sites, even the best aTLDs .Co and .Net are very risky, .Com is risky enough and opportune enough not to dig further.

10. Michael H. Berkens says

Paul

The word on the street is that .web is going to be the most sort after.

Guess we will find more out once ICANN gets its TAS system back up and finally announces the applicants

11. Michael H. Berkens says

Paul

The feeling is, not that I particularly happen to agree with it, is that .web has a chance to compete with .com as a general TLD.

As a business the .info registry has around 7 Million registrations which at around $7 wholesale is around $50M a year so not a horrible business.

12. Michael H. Berkens says

Paul

BTW as your looking for new ideas. it would also have been nice if you mentioned thedomains.com in your Mike Mann article since I wrote about it 1st.

Nothing will ever do better than .Co as an Alt did since its obvious and one of first in line and Juan has done a great job marketing and managing, so again if you are looking for investment class assets fly to quality before an emergency, keyword heavy .Coms in perfect English and context is your best bet and many options still to invest, most at http://www.domainmarket.com

14. prospect says

I been considering in buying names from mike mann actually and browsing his inventory.

may need to speak with an agent. disagree on a few things he does but he does have some good inventory in there

15. Well says

Breaking news: Apple is planning to add a .co key to the iPhone OSK (on-screen keyboard).

Not.

The benefit and purpose of non-com tld’s is specialisation. .co is a cctld. It represents Colombia. Not “company”.

It’s only artificial scarcity, inflated value and years of domaining (now with ICANN itself getting into the game – they have totally lost face; pathetic) that has led to the pathological repurposing of non-com tld’s for business.

com = global business

There was never any other intended purpose for it.

Ambiguity is no friend to legitimate business. (Though it may be the friend of the scam artist.)

Aside from today’s internet criminals and the folks who depend on them to make a living (e.g. security consultants, spam fighters), clarity is what we all want.

Make it easy. Make it simple. Make it crystal clear. Stop playing games.

New gtld’s will only increase ambiguity and confusion as they try to compete with the one, clear business tld: dot com.

Chaos, brought to you by ICANN. Aren’t they supposed to be concerned with internet stability, making sure things run smoothly?

16. yawn says

@together.tv

We all know your 15k offer you rejected and sold for 5k.

Your together.tv 80k offer you claim rejected.

We have a new fan boy in tell. LOL. You think your helping . Tv and investors? Hmm. Ok.

17. Brad M. says

@well, thanks for clearing up that country code for me…it’s a good thing I speak Columbian.

MARKETABILITY – this is a marketplace, ICANN doesn’t give a rats ass about ambiguity or your need for clarity.

I got out of the game years ago but keep my names… But I am glad for names like Amish.co which I registered myself, and being a former Amish, it is one of my best names.

19. 3D is my life says

Sorry Joe, if you’ve kept the names, you’re still in the game. But, if that .co is one of your best names, you probably should have remained Amish and never entered the domain game.

LOL what I mean by not in the game, is that I am not chasing it as I used to, trying to sell names, I used to be a mod on dnf, Etc., and domains were my life, but now I have other interests, such as youtube, and building out sites. I have 3 letter domains, and some one worders, but I like this one cause it is a short brandable one that I have used for a forum to talk about my people.

Oh and I did not leave the Amish for domain names… I just got into them a few years after I left, when I bought Deleted.com, and a year after that I started to post on dnf… and in 06 I was voted “Most Valuable Member” by fellow members. And yes, that was a tie with the lawyer, Dr. John Berryhill. I think if you had a unique past like I did, you would want to have names about it too, like I did.

I have a few other names related to the Amish, so to name a few:

formeramish.com
    examish.com
    ex-amish.com (There is a book called “Shunned, Banned, ex communicated, true stories of the Ex-Amish”)
    xamish.com
    amish.co
    amishchurch.com
    amishmemories.com (Name of the book I want to write)
    amishconfidential.com (also the name of a book written by one of my former Amish friends)

But that is not all the names I own.