Shouldn’t Registrars At Least Mention That .Co Is The Country Code For Colombia?

I know .CO has done a great job of branding itself as something other than a country code, along the lines of .Me.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Brilliant effective marketing.

But I couldn’t help but notice that the major registrars promoting .CO domains don’t even mention that .Co is a ccTLD, or more precisely the country code for Colombia.

Here is what Godaddy.com, has to say about .CO:

“Co Is the first truly global, recognizable domain to come along in years”

“Understood around the world as an abbreviation for “Company,” “Corporation” and “Commerce”, .CO is easy to recognize, simple to remember and flexible to use. It offers international recognition in a fresh landscape where you can still choose the name you want, not just settle for what’s available.””

“.CO is meaningful, memorable and intuitive for people around the world”

• .CO is relevant to individuals, businesses, and organizations
  • .CO gives businesses and brands the chance to create a worldwide footprint
  • .CO appeals to today’s socially-networked individuals and entrepreneurs
  • With industry-leading technology, enhanced security and unprecedented rights protection mechanisms – .CO is poised to become the world’s next premier web address”

Ok no problem with any of that but nowhere on Godaddy.com page promoting .CO do I see any mention of what .CO truly is which is a country code for Colombia.

Domainers are quite familiar with Domains, TLD’s, ccTLD’s but the general public, well they are pretty much completely ignorant on these matters.

I think some mention of what the domain extension actually is should be disclosed to the non-domainers who might be acquiring these domains.

I can see where a end user would register a .Co domain not knowing what is represented and down the line be upset he didn’t get that very basic information told to him.

I think its a legal problem waiting in the wings.

Network Solutions.com page on .CO domains likewise doesn’t say a word about .CO begin a country code:

“”It’s the beginning of the .CO era!

::Find the domain name you’re looking for when you use the newest domain extension. With a .CO domain name you will have more choices in branding your online presence with a truly global, recognizable and credible option for a Web address.

“”With a .CO, the possibilities are endless and new opportunities arise. Associated with the words “COmpany,” “COrporation” and “COmmerce,” it’s the perfect platform for today’s socially networked individuals and entrepreneurs to create .COmmunities, share .COntent, and to .COnnect, .COmmunicate and .COllaborate online.

What will you create with your .CO?

The Key Benefits of .CO

• .CO is a truly global, recognizable and credible domain.
  • .CO gives businesses and brands the chance to create a worldwide footprint.
  • .CO is relevant to individuals, businesses and organizations.
  • .CO is meaningful, memorable and intuitive to use for people around the world.
  • .CO appeals to today’s socially-networked individuals and entrepreneurs.””
Once again a nice ad, nice promotion, but a mention somewhere on the page that the domain is the ccTLD or country code for Colombia would seem to me to be a necessity, a bare  minimal disclosure required to CYA (“Cover Your Ass”) from possible suits down the line.
I think registrars would lose a negligible amount of business if it mentioned somewhere on the page that the extension was the country code for Colombia but would avoid major possible legal bills down the line.

Comments

1. Domo Sapiens says

Duane permalink
    “a pretty good indication that even the savvy consumer in Germany recognizes the “.com” as being the brand for the Internet”

Like I have said it has nothing to do with .com being the brand of the internet, because in Germany the .com, if your lucky, will only grab 20 % of a .de price tag. Sorry but in Germany the .com has as much value as a .net or .org in the U.S

************
    I’m lost.

Regarding my experiences with “.de” businesses wanting the “.com” TLD – apparantly just from me – well I glad I helped you all live your “.co” lie and in some cases non.com lie – maybe I should become a registrar as well to further promote that denial – there is a lot of money to be many in selling denial.

I am the biggert student around – even when January starts my 13th calendar year – what I take out out this “.co” dialog is words from David Castello:
    “…. is unrealistic – and that is the point where domainers will get burned.”

– for every new avenue feel I missed or want to pursue – there are probably 100 avenues to get smoked !!! – and anybody new to this business trying to do what I got in on the tail end of when I started (and made lots of mistakes) – will get smoked.

To use the prior reference of the Russian kid re-inventing the Internet “.com” or whatever – his fortune lies in implementing web 2.0 (Windows for the web) business applications – and not buying up oil leases where it has been proven there is no oil.

4. Stefan says

You just have no idea of what youre talking about….like all the big Names (GoDaddy, NetworkSolutions etc.) know, the “.co” Domain will rank great in every country cause .co’s will be geotargeting able. Just follow what Google says.

.co is at least as good as .biz or .info, probably as good as .net/org and maybe its even right behind the famous .com.

Yes, there is a good reason why every big player like twitter, facebook or even BMW already choose their .co adress!

Every morning when I wake up I have sex with every one of my 7,000 “.coms” sometimes even 2 or 3 times with some of them. The fact that other people want to buy “.coms” without me asking is what makes the experience so gratifying every morning.

All I see here is folks trying to sell “.co” – where “.com” sells itself.

And ask youself will BMW.co just forward to BMW.com – or will BMW.co actually be a different website – where the consumer gets confused.

“.co” just ain’t so

6. yylex says

@jason: are you downplaying the “technical” aspects? if not, i misunderstand your comment. really, the technical side is all there is. without the technical assistance, there is no .co, no promotion to the right audience (=hungry domainers) and no business opportunity. wasn’t kevin ham supposed to pursue .co? he pulled out of .cm. conscience? do you think that cameroon would have initiated getting their tld operational if not for some “technical” assistance? would niue have put .nu into operation if someone had not approached them? how about christmas island (.cx)? or tavalu (.tv). libya (.ly)? etc., etc. it really makes you wonder what the heck jon postel was thinking: was he completely ignoring economic reality? make no mistake, those with the technical know-how are running these shows. not the indigenous peoples. is that surprising? of course, once the profits become concrete, then the non-technical folks take a keener interest. but by then it’s often too late. the “damage” has been done. the tld’s meaning has been altered to make some quick cash.

at least .com was meant to be commercial from the start. it’s meaning will always be the same.